What a great trip. Words cannot describe the adventure of traveling by motorcycle in the mountains of a far away land, northwest Vietnam. The people, the scenery, the smell of the fresh air, the feel of the motorcycle. I am convinced now that there is no better way to travel.
Expore Indochina provided everything necessary for a wonderful adventure. A great knowledgable guide, proper equipment, and a set course straight to the border of China.
Starting out from the center of Hanoi, from city traffic which was no problem, the rice fields and open space began to appear, giving a hint to what lay in store:
Every day was filled with exciting rides, friendly natives, and fun challenges:
1) Sleeping on the floor of a stilt house under a mosquito net in Mai Chai
2) Waking up early to see the local market in Nhgia Lo and sampling the local food
3) Drinking beer a chatting in different languages in the living room of a family who invited me into their home in Than Uyen
4) Dinner with the group in a restaurant in Tam Duong and finishing the meal with a hit of tobacco through a thuoc lao (bazooka)
5) My daily breakfast of Pho in local restaurants where the people were so kind and showed me how to make green tea the right way.
6) Riding up the mountain pass to Sapa and stopping along the way to take in the unreal scenery
7) Entering the sleeping car for the train ride back to Hanoi, after being on the road for 6 days, and being greeted by the 2 cutest Danish girls one could imagine
These are just a few of the highlites of a wonderful fullfilling journey.
Jason Melchner from USA